Thursday, April 22, 2010

Writing in Neutral

I've neglected my blog.  I knew this was going to happen.  That's one reason why it took me so long to start a blog in the first place.  My perfectionist tendencies dictate that if I'm not doing something perfectly (or at least pretty darn close), then I won't do it at all.  I know...it's not a good habit.  That's why my scrapbooks stop when Maddi is a year old, and my closets aren't organized.  I'm working on it. 

I've tried to write for ten days now.  I start with a topic, veer to the left, hit a pothole, cross over into incoming traffic, and ultimately roll off the cliff.  It's not pretty.  When my students faced a similar problem in class, the former English teacher in me would say, "Just write. Just put pen to paper and write.  Even if you're writing about not being able to write, just write."  So here we are. 

I offer to you a short list of blog topics I've talked myself out of this week:
  • Why waking up Sunday morning with a hangover, a black eye, and a lost camera was so worth it
  • How pouring 10-12 bottles of Bath & Body Works body sprays down the shower can create toxic fumes and set off your explosive gas detector
  • Potty training a toddler and a dog at the same time
  • Whether I should finish hanging pictures in my home or quit now since we're moving in three months
  • The adventures of the Topsy-Turvy upside-down tomato planter
  • My children's odd fascination with cleaning windows but leaving trash on the ground
  • How the word "help" means something different to everyone
  • The creepy guy at Barnes & Noble who has hit on me two separate times, two months apart
Maybe I'll revisit a topic or two another time.  Maybe posting this list is enough to get my mind back in the driver's seat.  Where I'm going from here...hmm...time will only tell.

2 comments:

  1. Uh...I vote for number one!!! I want to hear more about that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for number one too, lol! And when I posted on my blog today, I realized that it had been a week sense I had posted....not really sure where time goes, lol!

    ReplyDelete